BAKED LOBSTER TAILS AND SCALLOPS WITH SHERRY AND SAFFRON
Main Course for 10-16 (keep in mind: 1 box of tails & 1 bag scallops = 8 small servings or 4 large servings)
8 lobster tails, thawed & rinsed. Pat dry, cut in half lengthwise
4 lbs scallops, side muscle removed (from side of scallop) and discarded
4 medium shallots, thinly slice
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 – 1 Tbs. unsalted butter per portion (personal preference)
Sherry wine, glug per serving
1 pinch saffron threads
Clothes Pins (one for each portion)
1 lemon, juice to finish
Fresh parsley, to finish
Inspired by Gwyneth Paltrow’s ‘Mixed Seafood with Sherry and Saffron’ in ‘It’s All Easy, Delicious Weekday Recipes for the Super-Busy Home Cook’
Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut out squares of parchment paper roughly 11”x11”, one for each serving and divide the sliced shallot, evenly among them. Place halves of lobster tails as well as scallops (according to serving size preferences) on top of shallots (shell side down). Divide garlic evenly, add butter (according to personal preference), a glug or two of sherry, and a small pinch of saffron to each serving.
- Carefully pinch corners together and fold up sides of parchment paper together and seal with a clothes pin, rolling openings closed, sealing the pouch as much as possible (to steam the seafood!). Place parcels on a baking sheet or two, and bake for around 14-16 minutes, or until the seafood is cooked through.
- Transfer the parcels to plates and allow guests to open their own individual baked seafood dish, and garnish with fresh lemon juice and parsley (if desired).
- Add vegetables to the mix! Add roughly chopped carrots or potatoes to each parchment paper parcel along with the shallots, garlic, butter, sherry, and saffron and bake without the lobster tails and scallops for approximately 10-15 minutes (depending on preference). Add in the tails and scallops, reseal the parcel, and bake until seafood is cooked through (14-16 minutes).
- Get creative and use any vegetable you want and adjust cooking times where needed! Also, great served with rice!