SCALLOP AND LOBSTER SAUSAGE
For Seafood Sausage:
1 lb sea scallops (tough side muscle removed)
1 large egg white
1 cup heavy cream
2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1/3 cup diced leeks (from 1 large, or 2 small)
2 Greenhead Lobster tails (4/5oz each)
1.5 Tbs fines herbes (minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, chives, tarragon, and/or chervil)
4 Tbs butter and oil (neutral high heat: avocado, vegetable, light olive)
For Spicy Aioli:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 lime, juiced
2 Tbs Sriracha hot sauce
This is an elegant seafood sausage, inspired by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyns Shrimp, Lobster and Leek Sausage, in Charcuterie. Approximately 4 servings.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil, add leaks and lobster tails, and simmer for 3 minutes. Drain, and allow to cool completely. Extract lobster meat from shell and roughly chop (it will be partially cooked).
- Puree the scallops with the egg whites in a large food processor. With the processor running, add the cream slowly, then the salt and white pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the scallop mousseline with the leeks, lobster, and herbs, folding them in gently but evenly.
- Add butter and oil to large NONSTICK skillet and heat to med-high.
- Measure approximately 1/2 cup of scallop lobster mixture and form into a patty (it will be quite sticky, just drop on skillet, allow to cook a bit, and flatten as desired), repeat until pan is full but not crowded.
- Watch carefully, allow to brown, but not to burn, roughly 4 minutes per side.
- Remove to plate, and keep in a warm place, covered (be it the back of the stove, or in the oven at 150°F)
- Continue cooking remaining seafood sausage, serve warm.
*TIP* This seafood sausage is rich and luxurious, full of delicate flavors! Serve with a nice green salad!
*ASIDE* For a more authentic sausage look, this mixture can be cased or wrapped in plastic wrap and poached (poach in 170° water until internal temperature of 135° is reached).